Why make regular fries when you can make garlic butter fries with a whole head of garlic that’s been roasted to perfection. These fries are golden and crispy on the outside while fluffy on the inside and have been tossed through an incredibly indulgent garlic butter sauce and finished off with a sprinkling of parsley and pecorino romano. This is what dreams are made of.
The Perfect French Fry
The twice fry method – To achieve the perfect fries, you need the twice-fry method. The first fry is done at a lower temperature and is to cook the inside of the potato so the middle is fluffy and soft. The second fry is done at a slightly higher temperature and cooks the outside making it golden and crunchy.
Freeze your chips – It’s important that after the first fry, the potatoes are placed into the fridge or freezer to bring their temperature down for the second fry. This will give your potato an even fluffier interior!
Remove the starch – Place your potatoes into an ice bath for up to 24 hours to remove as much starch as possible.
No one likes a soggy chip – moisture is not our friend when making fries! After the potatoes have been removed from their ice bath, place them onto tea towels or absorbent paper and pat them dry to remove as much moisture as possible.
Choose the right oil – The oil you use also plays a huge factor in the taste. It’s important to use a neutral oil that has a high smoking point. My oil of choice for deep frying is vegetable oil.
Garlic Butter Sauce
While this garlic butter may be simple, it’s pure perfection and simplicity at its finest! It only requires a few ingredients as the true star of the show is the whole head of garlic that’s been roasted for one hour. Cooking garlic this way softens the strong, pungent garlic flavour you may be more familiar with and leaves you with a velvet like texture. As there are minimal ingredients in this sauce, I recommend using a high quality butter and olive oil. The olive oil is used to prevent the butter from burning.
If garlic butter sauce on chips is not your thing that is totally okay! You can simply follow the method for making fries and leave the sauce out.
If you make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram, Tik Tok or Pinterest so I can see your wonderful creations!
If you have any questions or would like to leave a review, please do so here! I always love answering your food and recipe related questions and hearing your feedback on my recipes.
Garlic Butter Fries
- 6 russet potatoes cut into 3cm wide by 3cm thick chips
- 1 litre vegetable oil
- 1 whole head garlic
- 75 g salted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- flakey sea salt
- pecorino romano or parmeson grated
- parsley finely chopped
- Place the potatoes into an ice bath and leave for a minimum of 1 hour. This will remove the starch from the potatoes.
- In a large pot on a high heat, bring the vegetable oil to 140 degrees celsius. Using a slotted spoon, carefully place ¼ of the potatoes into the pot and cook for 5 minutes. It’s important we do this step in batches so the pot does not overcrowd and the oil spills out of the pot. Place the cooked chips onto a tray that has been pre-lined with absorbent paper. Place into the fridge or freezer for 2 hours or ideally overnight. Reserve the oil for when you are ready to do the second fry.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Cut the top off the head of the garlic and place into a small oven proof pot with a lid or into a sheet of alfoil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Allow to slightly cool and squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skin. Set to the side.
- In a deep dish tray on a low heat, combine the butter and olive oil and cook until melted. Add the roasted garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes or until all ingredients are well combined. Take off the heat and toss the potatoes through the butter sauce.
- For the second fry, bring the oil to 170 degrees celsius. Using a slotted spoon, carefully place ¼ of the potatoes into the pot and cook for 7 minutes or until golden and crispy. Place onto a cooling rack to allow the excess oil to drip off. Repeat this step until all the chips have been cooked.
- Place the potatoes into the saucepan with the garlic butter sauce and toss through on a low heat. Transfer to a large bowl and sprinkle with flakey sea salt, grated pecorino romano or parmesan and finely chopped parsley. Toss through the bowl and serve immediately.
Hold Porn says
Be beautiful enough to feast the eyes
купить диплом says
I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!!
I certainly enjoyed every bit of it. I have got you book
marked to look at new stuff you post…
Also visit my website; купить диплом